I haven't cooked in awhile! Well, let me back track. I did cross off one of my many new year's "resolutions", and I made a lasagna for the first time. It was a couple of Sundays ago and it turned out great! I used a recipe that I found on that Pioneer Woman site and I added some elements from Emeril. The meat was ground turkey and hot turkey sausage, and I was going to add spinach but I didn't have any fresh and I ditched the frozen stuff because it looked too weird. I, and Russ, haven't really cooked anything special in awhile outside the usual taco/veggies & meat, sort of fare. As far as eating out goes, a highlight was a night at John's, my favorite NYC pizzeria. Unfortunately I only had one piece before everything was gone except for the ricotta and black olives pie (weird combo, no?). But it was the most delightful, delectable, pepperoni-licious slice of pizza I have ever had! Also of note, I enjoyed a falafel and a mocha from the Mud truck before that dinner. Last week Russ grilled up a t-bone steak which was very tasty. Also satisfying about that meal was that I bought the steak on sale for $6, where it was originally $18! (Saving money at the grocery store has become one of my favorite games lately.) Last night, we had some meat and cheese and wine at chez Alex and Anne-Sophie, the frenchies who describe themselves as brother and sister, though they are not actually related. They're the ones opening a wine bar in San Clemente. We drank a little too much wine, and Alex and Anne-Sophie drank more than a little too much I think, and we went to Ole's, the local dive bar. Horrible place, but they do have a foosball table. Alex and Anne-Sophie may not be brother and sister by blood but they certainly play the older brother/younger sister roles to a T. Think Jessica and Stephen from Sweet Valley High. (Boom! Like the reference?)
As for the news portion of this post, I am switching up my PT job. What happened was this: Thursday night Russ and I got into an argument and as a skewed result I became sensitive about how I'm not an independent woman, as Mommy would say. So I decided I would get a second job. I went on Craigslist in a demented huff and there was the perfect part time job for me. "Part time web developer for family owned jewelry business in San Clemente." So I applied, got interviewed the next day, and got offered the job, haha. I think web developer is a stretch for describing the job responsibilities. Eventually yes they need work on their site, but for now they're using third party shopping cart software that I just need to update on the admin side (meaning, no real coding), and I also need to help the owner with getting products onto other e-commerce websites like Overstock. She also wants me to direct their social media stuff - FB, pinterest, etc - get them started, be the one to update that stuff.. not my favorite thing to do, but maybe I'll outsource that part to Maya! Haha! Anyway, it's a far better commute than my other job, seems like less stress, and it pays a little more (like $1 an hour more - pay is still total crap though). So I'm going to quit the other job and start this new one. I could do both jobs but that would increase the number of days I would have to drive up to Orange and at the pay, the commute is not worth it.
And that's the news here.
As for the news portion of this post, I am switching up my PT job. What happened was this: Thursday night Russ and I got into an argument and as a skewed result I became sensitive about how I'm not an independent woman, as Mommy would say. So I decided I would get a second job. I went on Craigslist in a demented huff and there was the perfect part time job for me. "Part time web developer for family owned jewelry business in San Clemente." So I applied, got interviewed the next day, and got offered the job, haha. I think web developer is a stretch for describing the job responsibilities. Eventually yes they need work on their site, but for now they're using third party shopping cart software that I just need to update on the admin side (meaning, no real coding), and I also need to help the owner with getting products onto other e-commerce websites like Overstock. She also wants me to direct their social media stuff - FB, pinterest, etc - get them started, be the one to update that stuff.. not my favorite thing to do, but maybe I'll outsource that part to Maya! Haha! Anyway, it's a far better commute than my other job, seems like less stress, and it pays a little more (like $1 an hour more - pay is still total crap though). So I'm going to quit the other job and start this new one. I could do both jobs but that would increase the number of days I would have to drive up to Orange and at the pay, the commute is not worth it.
And that's the news here.
Whoa! Congrats on your new job!! Do they make cool jewelry??
ReplyDeleteThey do silver and gold stuff. They want to have a focus on the hispanic market, so it's not exactly trendy, although they have a trendier line named after the female owner. (The business was started by a guy in the 60's or 70's and his daughter and son have taken it over.) I'll see more of the stuff when I start working... I didn't ask about discounts but hey, I bet I could get discounts!
ReplyDelete$6 steak! are you going to turn into diana corning? (i just remember her coming home one day with a car full of groceries and she had spent like $3 total on the whole thing because of all her couponing. she was the original extreme couponer.)
ReplyDeleteand yeah, congrats on the new job! i feel like the most productive time to go on craigslist is when you're in a "demented huff" -- that's how kira and i found our current house haha. any pics of the jewelry they sell?